\\\ Dog Walks
PET CHECK UK
ESSENTIAL FOR DOG CAT KITTEN PUPPY PET OWNERS
North Devon Dog-Friendly Beaches
North Devon Dog Walking Beaches During Summer
Clovelly Hartland Quay Beaches
Croyde – Saunton Sands – Westward Ho! Beaches
Woolacoombe – Putsborough – Barricane – Coombe Martin Beaches
\\\ Dog Walking North Devon
Beautiful dog walks along North Devon’s sandy beaches
There’s plenty of room for dogs on North Devon’s glorious beaches.
Staycation, weekend break or special day out with your dog?
Planning a visit with your dog?
Check the beaches have no restrictions in place before travelling.
Most beach ban restrictions operate from 1st May to 30 September, however, there are a minority of beaches around the UK, including North Devon, that impose longer bans sometimes starting as early as Easter of 1 April, or beach events that may force sudden unexpected closures.
The ‘No dogs on this beach’ signs are posted up around beach promenades, nearby car parks and maps on council websites that provide plans of the areas where dogs can and cannot be walked.
What are the all-year-round popular dog-friendly beaches in North Devon?
Saunton Sands – owners are asked to keep their pets on leads in front of the beach hut area at the start of the beach.
Woolacombe – Zone C
What beaches are restricted to dogs from 1st May – 31st September?
Combe Martin – Dogs are banned
Croyde – Dogs are banned
Westward Ho! – Must be walked northern end of beach, to the right of the Pebble Ridge.
Barricane – Dogs must be kept on leads
Woolcombe – Zone B Dogs to be kept on leads
What beaches are restricted to dogs between 1st April and 1st November?
Woolacombe – Zone A
What beaches are restricted to dogs from Easter to 1 November?
Putsborough Beach – Far left of the beach only
What beaches are banned for dog walks all year?
Woody Bay – All out ban
Hartland Quay Beach – Temporary ban
Other beaches where there are no bans in place for dogs 365 days a year
Wildersmouth, Ilfracombe, Other Ilfracombe (The Cove, Raparee, Larkstone, Cheyne), Watermouth, Hele Bay, Lee Bay, Crow Point, Rockham, Wild Pear, Lynmouth, Mortehoe.
Assistance dogs are always welcome accompanied by their owner
READ MORE ABOUT NORTH DEVON DOG FRIENDLY BEACHES
Croyde, Saunton Sands, Westward Ho! North Devon. Dog-friendly beaches, dog walks, dog friendly staycations, dog walking sandy beaches, Dog walks. Petcheck.UK BlogKeep reading
Woolacombe, Barricane Beach, Putsborough Beach, Coombe Martin best North Devon dog-friendly beaches, Dog walks, dog walking sandy beaches. Dog friendly staycations, Petcheck.UK BlogKeep reading
Clovelly Beach, Hartland Quay, dog-friendly beaches,, North Devon. Beach dog walks, dog walking sandy beaches, dog friendly staycation dog walks, Clovelly welcomes dogs. Petcheck.UK BlogKeep reading
Read More About UK’s Dog Beach Restrictions
Dog walking restrictions on beaches, promenades. Seaside summer dog walking restrictions. Beach restrictions for dog walks. dogs on leads, sandy beach dog walks. Beach dog walking. Beautiful coastal beach dog walks. Petcheck.UK Blog
READ MORE PETCHECK BLOGS ABOUT DOGS ON BEACHES
Can dogs get bitten by fleas on beaches? Dog health. What are sand fleas and sandflies? Sand hopper, sandfly, sand flea. Dog-friendly beach walks. How to take care of your dog’s beach bites. Pet health. Petcheck UK Blog
Is it OK to leave dog poop on UK beaches? Read why we clear dog poop and muck up off beaches, how to dispose dog poop safely. Dog poop helps to cause yearly summer dog walking beach restrictions. About dog poo. Petcheck.UK Blog
Are beaches safe for summer dog walks? Summer dog walks on beaches. Dog walks on beaches. Keep dogs cool. How does the sun affect my dog? Dog summer beach and weather safety. Petcheck.UK Blog
To get the very best out of a special day trip, plan in advance.
- Pre-book your car park space if necessary.
- Check all local social media before setting out including if there are traffic build-ups in the area so you are not wasting time sitting in a hot car and then having to find an alternative beach location, when car parks are full.
- Check tide times for the best times to be on the beach. We recommend two hours after high tide allows the tide to be going out, sand and shingle drying out and gives more space on the beach.
- Remember to buy sun block for you and your pet before its too hot weather, apply before leaving home.
- Ensure your dog has ventilated space in your vehicle and also sunshades protecting them from direct sunlight whilst travelling.
Beach doggie tips to remember
- To take lots (more than usual) of fresh water and a collapsible bowl for your thirsty dog. Seawater is salty and will make your dog even more thirsty.
- Have old towels to dry your dog if they’ve been swimming. Provide them with towels to sit on, rather than the sand, and towels help to clean off the sand before going home!
- A sun canopy or umbrella shade is important, not just for you, but also for your dog who can catch sunburn as much as you can. Check out Pet Check Shop for supplies.
- You may need to use a short and/or long dog lead during restriction times, and take a dog muzzle if you prefer your dog to wear one on busier beaches. Dogs can act out character in new, unknown places often feeling anxious. Move onto another part of the beach if your dog feels uncomfortable.
- Please remember to take your rubbish home with you. That includes dog poop which is your responsibility to clean up at all times.
Best North Devon Views
Beaches may have special banning notices on the day. Check for these on arrival.
Visit Early Morning Or Evening visits are ideal first thing in the morning before crowds start to arrive and after families have gone home early evening for dog walks on beaches.
Hot sand not only burns your feet but dogs paws. Ensure your pet has room to sit and lie off the sand on old blankets or rugs under shade.
Vets There are ample veterinary practices along the North Devon coast in case of any emergency including locations of practices at the towns of Bideford and Barnstaple.
Holidaying If you’re planning to stay in the area, then Sykes Holidays holiday cottages rentals offer a number of holiday lets in a variety of quality and differing dog-friendly properties across North Devon as do Rural Retreats.
Natural Trail An alternative to a very busy day on the beach can be to pick up part of the trail that snakes around the coastal headlands overlooking Devon beaches. Read more about The South West Coast Path.
Never leave your dog unattended in your car especially in hot weather
Prices and information correct at time of writing. Images courtesy Visit Devon
The recent pandemic has bought about new changes to the ways we do things. Post lockdown restrictions may require households not to travel in certain areas of the UK. Read the latest government advice. It’s advisable to check with your local council and social media websites before making special journeys. You may find that you are required to pre-book vehicle entry into popular beaches during the summer months.
Prices and information correct at the time of writing. Beach images courtesy Visit Devon
\\\ PET CHECK SHOP
SHOP NOW FOR ALL YOUR PET SUPPLIES
Reliable & trusted dog, cat, rabbit, small pet, pet brands and shop including 24/7 vet, insurance, food, treatments, UK dog-friendly staycations, pet sitting, outdoor clothing, pet gifts & books, & more. Petcheck.UK. Shop.
\\\ LATEST PET CHECK BLOGS
\\\ Copyright © Pet Check UK Pet Check.blog 2020-2021 Design Horizon