\\\ Dog Walks
Dunwich – Thorpeness – Aldeburgh
What Are The Best Dog Walks In Suffolk?
Beautiful walks along coastal routes and sandy beaches
Suffolk is part of East Anglia, East England facing the North Sea, about 100 miles from London and a perfect rural location for a holiday break with your family and best friend.
Dunwich is worth a mention as the beach and heath are owned by the National Trust Organisation caring for this part of the Suffolk coastline.
The beach is actually shingle, but long, wide and continuous and makes a dog walk possible with the backshore being low crumbling cliffs and the start of the heath area being home to much wildlife.
Thorpeness beach is situated in the middle, about 4 miles from Dunwich to the north and 1.5 miles to Aldeburgh to the south, with beaches running the length of the coast between the small villages. There are no restrictions for beach dog walking. The beach has steep shelving from the backshore, however low tide exposes some excellent sandy beaches.
Featuring dog walking around the UK
Image of the Iconic Life Guard watch at Aldeburgh
Aldeburgh is a lovely small village situated right on the coastline and close to the beach which is flat, with access straight onto the beach. It has some small shops to visit and noticeably galleries, a golf course, and hotels making it a perfect location for a holiday break or staycation weekend jaunt. The beach is shingle and does have dog walking restrictions between 1 May and 30 September, but perfect out of season.
There is a local vet’s practice at Aldeburgh and several 5 miles or so, just in case of any pet emergency at Thorpeness and Dunwich.
Rural Retreats offers a number of luxury holiday cottages and houses across Suffolk, particularly dog-friendly comfortable properties at Aldeburgh being just a few minutes walk to the beach. Ideal renting out of season to take advantage of those dog walks on the local beach between 1st October and 30 April.
Best beach doggie tips to remember
- To take lots (more than usual) of fresh water and a collapsible bowl for your thirsty dog. Seawater is salty and will make your dog even more thirsty.
- Have old towels to dry your dog if they’ve been swimming. Provide them with towels to sit on, rather than the sand, and towels help to clean off the sand before going home!
- A sun canopy or umbrella shade is important, not just for you, but also for your dog who can catch sunburn as much as you can. Check out Pet Check Shop for supplies.
- You may need to use a short and/or long dog lead during restriction times, and take a dog muzzle if you prefer your dog to wear one on busier beaches. Dogs can act out character in new, unknown places often feeling anxious.
- Please remember to take your rubbish home with you. That includes dog poop which is your responsibility to clean up at all times.
To get the very best out of a special day trip, plan in advance.
- Pre-book your car park space if necessary.
- Check all local social media before setting out including if there are traffic build-ups in the area so you are not wasting time sitting in a hot car.
- Check tide times for the best times to be on the beach. We recommend two hours after high tide allows the tide to be going out, sand and shingle drying out and gives more space on the beach.
- Remember to buy sun block for you and your pet before its too hot weather, apply before leaving home.
- Ensure your dog has ventilated space in your vehicle and also sunshades protecting them from direct sunlight whilst travelling.
The recent pandemic has bought about new changes to the ways we do things. Post lockdown restrictions may require households not to travel in certain areas of the UK. Read latest government advice. It’s advisable to check with your local council and social media websites before making special journeys. You may find that you are required to pre-book vehicle entry into popular beaches during the summer months.
\\\ PET CHECK SHOP
Pet Check blog shop, the best pet suppliers providing reliable pet insurance, dog, cat, rabbit pet insurance. GPS pet tracking, dog, cat foods, dog, cat accessories, gifts, books. Pet flea treatments. UK dog-friendly holiday homes, staycations, weekend breaks, pet house sitting, dog walking clothing. Petcheck.UK.
\\\ LATEST PET CHECK BLOGS
\\\ Copyright © Pet Check UK Pet Check.blog 2020-2021 Design Horizon