\\\ Dog Walks
Suffolk Dog-Friendly Beaches
Walberswick – Southwold – Covehithe
Dunwich – Thorpeness – Aldeburgh
Featuring dog walking around the UK
Beautiful walks along coastal routes and sandy beaches in Suffolk
Suffolk is part of East Anglia, East England facing the North Sea, about 100 miles from London, where most beaches are dog-friendly all year round making it a perfect setting for enjoyable coastal beach dog walks and staying in a rural location for a staycation, holiday or weekend break with your best friend.
What are the best all-year-round dog walking beaches?
Walberswick unrestricted all year round sandy dog walking beaches.
Kessingland sandy long spacious beach open to dog walking all year but may be required to be on a lead close to the Nature Reserve.
Covehithe a very pretty part sandy beach, open all year round for dog walks.
Southwold unrestricted on the north beach, centered around the estuary mouth of the Blythe River is Denes Beach which welcomes dog walks all year round.
Thorpeness there are no restrictions for beach dog-walking. The beach has steep shelving from the backshore, however low tide exposes some excellent sandy beaches.
Dunwich Beach welcomes dogs all year round. Note that there are car parking time restrictions to the area for access to the beach, so do check the National Trust website before making a special journey.
Dog walking beach restrictions 1 May to 30 September
Aldeburgh main beach has dog walking restrictions between 1 May and 30 September.
Southwold main beach.
Assistance dogs are always welcome accompanied by their owner
before you travel
To get the very best out of a special day trip, do plan in advance.
- Pre-book your car park space if necessary.
- Check all local social media before setting out including if there are traffic build-ups in the area so you are not wasting time sitting in a hot car.
- Check tide times for the best times to be on the beach. We recommend two hours after high tide allows the tide to be going out, sand and shingle drying out and gives more space on the beach. Check meteorological websites
- Remember to buy sunblock for you and your pet before it’s too hot weather, apply before leaving home.
- Ensure your dog has ventilated space in your vehicle and also sunshades protecting them from direct sunlight.
Read more about dog-friendly
beaches in Suffolk
Image courtesy Visit Suffolk The Lookout Beach Tower at Aldeburgh
Vets There are a surprising number of family pet veterinary surgeries located down the Suffolk coastline from Great Yarmouth to Felixstowe should any emergency visit be necessary.
Rural Retreats offers a number of luxury holiday cottages, barns, and houses across Suffolk, particularly dog-friendly comfortable properties at Saxmundham and Aldeburgh being just a few minutes walk to the beach, perfect for renting all year round. #Ad.
YOU WILL NEED
- To take lots (more than usual) of fresh water and a collapsible bowl for your thirsty dog. Seawater is salty and will make your dog even more thirsty.
- Have old towels to dry your dog if they’ve been swimming. Provide your pet with towels when sitting on the beach rather than the sand, and towels help to clean off the sand before going home!
- A sun canopy or umbrella shade is important, not just for you, but also for your dog who can catch sunburn as much as you can.
- You may need to use a short and/or long dog lead during restriction times, and take a dog muzzle if you prefer your dog to wear one on busier beaches. They can act out character in new, unknown places often feeling anxious.
- Please remember to take your rubbish home with you. That includes dog poop which is your responsibility to clean up at all times.
The recent pandemic has bought about new changes to the ways we do things. Post lockdown restrictions may require households not to travel in certain areas of the UK. Read the latest government advice. It’s advisable to check with your local council and social media websites before making special journeys. You may find that you are required to pre-book vehicle entry into popular beaches during the summer months.
Prices and information correct at time of writing. Images courtesy Visit Suffolk
\\\ LATEST Blog archives
\\\ PET CHECK SHOP
BUY ALL YOUR PET SUPPLIES TODAY
Reliable & trusted dog, cat, rabbit, small pet, pet brands and shop including 24/7 vet, insurance, food, treatments, UK dog-friendly staycations, pet sitting, outdoor clothing, pet gifts & books, & more. Petcheck.UK. Shop.
\\\ Copyright © Pet Check UK Pet Check.blog 2020-2021 Design Horizon